Habit No. 12 - Improve Your Sleep Quality & Take Sufficient Sleep !!
Having enough sleep is essential for being successful in life. It not only sharpens your brain but also helps to stay alert throughout the day.
Getting enough sleep isn’t only about total hours of sleep. It’s also important to get good quality sleep on a regular schedule so you feel rested when you wake up.
While you sleep, your body is hard at work. It restores hormonal balance, repairs itself, and keeps the circulatory and immune systems functioning properly. Your brain forms and stores memories.
Quality sleep allows you to be energetic and alert. It allows you to lose weight, exercise, work, learn, socialize, and do all the things that you enjoy.
How this Small Habit Can Change Your Life :
Importance of Sufficient Sleep :
Sleep is the only time during the day where our bodies are able to relax, unwind and recover. Unfortunately, many people are falling short of the recommended 8 hours of sleep per night and this can have devastating impacts on our health. Many people are putting off bedtime in favour of other activities; including television, social media, and video games, but over time this can come at the cost of our health.
Lack of sleep, or poor quality sleep, has been linked to memory issues, mood changes, weakened immunity, altered eating behaviour and increased ageing. Not to mention, sleep has been shown to support weight loss given lack of sleep has been shown to create hormone imbalances in insulin, leptin, cortisol and many other hormones, which have a profound impact on weight.
Moreover, going to bed earlier will actually make waking up early easier, which is one of the most important healthy daily habits you can do.
So, if you are a night owl, try to get to bed a little earlier by giving yourself a curfew because, let’s be honest, nothing productive happens after 10:00 pm. Turn off digital devices, turn down the lights, read a book and focus on getting restful shut-eye.
Sleep impacts almost all of your daily choices. As with exercise, good sleep will help you have more energy, but it will also be easier to make better decisions and learn new things.
Keep Your Mind & Body Relaxed :
Sleep helps your mind and body relax and recover from your day. When you are sleep deprived, your body releases stress hormones.
Stress can make you react in ways that aren't productive. You may act out of fear or make rash decisions. Or you may be irritable.
A poor night's sleep can make you feel anxious. This may last until you finally get some much-needed rest.
Feel Energised & Alert :
A good night's sleep makes you feel energised and alert. This helps you focus and get things done. It's easier to exercise when you're energetic and alert. So that's an indirect benefit of getting enough sleep.
Being engaged and active throughout your day feels good. And being more active all day makes another good night's sleep more likely.
How Your Habit Buddy Will Help You Build this Habit ??
Your Personal "Habit Buddy is a Certified Habit Coach" & Learns More Daily to be 1% better every day to help you more effectively. They apply all the "Behaviour Change & Habit Formation Laws" to make it easy for you to build good habits & remove the bad ones.
- You are already building "Habit No. 10 - Meditation", which is one of the biggest method to improve the quality of your sleep. In fact, all the other habits in "My Habit Buddy" plays a role to make this habit easy.
- Your "STEPLO APP" has feature to remind you daily at the time you set for sleep & prepare you for the next day, show your progress for the day so that you sleep with a sense of accomplishment & gratitude.
- You can also schedule & set reminder to read before you sleep as reading helps to get a good night sleep, which you are practicing in "Habit No. 7 : Reading."
- It's Easy to Start a Habit but very hard to keep going daily, this is where the "Habit Tracking Board" included in "My Habit Buddy" plays a big role. It's placed on a dominant wall where you can view it several times a day & works as a reminder to perform the Habit & Mark an "X" after you have performed the habit.
- Every time you perform this habit & update it in your "STEPLO App", you get "STEPLO Coins" that you can redeem for other Premium & Helpful Products/ Services like Headspace, Cult Fit, Books, Body Massages & Therapy, Fit Bit, Sleep Tracking Ring & more that will help to make your habits & life better.
- There is a Weekly Leaderboard which has all your "Habit Partners" like friends, family & others who are member of "My Habit Buddy". Every week's leader gets an exclusive reward to celebrate their effort, boost self-confidence & inspire their partners.
Some Helpful Tips to Get Quality & Enough Sleep :
- Checkout this Amazing App - Simple Habit is #1 app for your wellness & sleep recommended by top psychologists, therapists and mental health experts. Try Simple Habit for free today and join over 5 million people on this life-changing journey. Sleep better and be happier in your life, marriage, parenthood, work, and health.
- A consistent sleep schedule improves your circadian rhythm’s timing, and eventually, you will get tired and wake up around the same time every day. Set a sleep schedule where you can get between 7 to 9 hours of sleep every night.
Sleep hygiene refers to healthy habits and practices to facilitate sleep. Several ways you can promote good sleep hygiene include:
- Having a cool, dark, and quiet bedroom.
- Limiting electronics at night.
- Avoiding large and heavy meals before bed.
- Following a relaxing bedtime routine.
- Avoid vigorous exercise late at night.
- Eat whole, real foods and drink filtered water during the daytime.
- Limit blue light electronics 60 minutes before bed.
By improving your sleep hygiene, getting quality sleep is easier and so is waking up in the mornings.
- Most adults need between seven and nine hours of sleep per day. Getting less than six or seven hours of sleep for just one night can affect you the next day.