Habit No. 4 - Prioritize Your Work to Focus on Important Tasks !!
I’m sure we’re all guilty of not spending our time wisely at some point in our lives.
But let’s not focus on the time that has already been spent; instead, let’s look at how we can prioritize and leverage the time that we still have !!
How this Small Habit Can Change Your Life :
No. 1 Productivity Strategy :
We all know that focus is what brings us results. No focus? No results. So how do you focus? By limiting your options and tasks. Elimination is the key.
Be very clear about what you want to achieve every single day, week, and year. Form the habit of focusing on what matters regularly.
Every day, work on 3-4 essential (and small) tasks that will bring you closer to your weekly and yearly goals.
Make 1% Progress Daily :
Having goals for the day is something you should always strive to do, so it’s only right to add this to the list of daily habits to start right now.
Seeing your goals written will drive you to want to complete them. It’s something about being able to check off something on your list that pushes you to work hard and keep going!
Eliminate Decision-Making Tasks :
Sometimes the best way to have a productive morning is to get a head start the night before. Many successful people spend their evenings getting ready for the following day because it frees up their mornings to get a jump on meaningful work. Former American Express CEO Kenneth Chenault ends his evenings by writing down three things he wants to accomplish the next day.
Shark Tank host Barbara Corcoran follows suit, making her to-do list before leaving the office at night. The following day, she rates the items in order of importance: A, B or C. Corcoran adds, "The A's are where the gold is—the things that will move my business ahead and make me money." Creating a to-do list at night is more time efficient, reduces morning stress and marks a definitive end to the day resulting in greater work-life balance.
Save Time & Achieve More :
The day I don’t have the most important thing written down in front of me, I end up spending about an hour trying to figure out what I have to do. Humans love control. Having a sense of tomorrow calms us.
If you don’t have a task list, you would fumble in the morning while delaying your most important task. If you know what you have to do, you get straight to your work. Having a task list is a keystone habit that will help you plan your other tasks before time, too.
Prioritization is one of the best time management strategies of all time. By using this strategy, you’ll learn how to organize tasks, have extra time to work on bigger tasks and meet your deadlines. Developing your prioritization skills will help you get more done in less time.
Break Your Long-Term Goals :
Most people have goals. Whether it's something to achieve in business or in life, we're all moving in one intended direction or another. However, while long-term goals do give us direction, it's the daily goals that we set that allow us to create short-term milestones that are integral to our success.
Long-term goals can seem overwhelming even in the best of times. But by implementing a daily goal-setting strategy, you can overcome some of the enormity associated with achieving big things in life by focusing on the one-day-at-time, short-term scenarios.
Best Reminder to Stay Focused :
If you don’t remind yourself often about what you need to focus on and why you are doing it then it is easy to let days slip away or to spend too much time on less important things.
Reduce Anxiety and Stress :
One of the biggest advantages of prioritizing an important task is that it relieves stress and anxiety. When you have a lot of items on your to-do list and less time to do all of them, you’ll experience feelings of overwhelm and stress.
Prioritization reduces items on your to-do list and helps you manage your time effectively. By prioritizing important work, you’ll have fewer tasks to work on and more time to complete the work. Failing to prioritize your work will lead to stress since you’ll end up spreading yourself too thin.
Create More Opportunities :
Prioritizing your workload allows you to focus on your most important tasks every day. When you prioritize your work, you’ll make the most out of the opportunities available and achieve important goals.
By failing to prioritize your work, you’ll find yourself spending more time on less important tasks. Having a lot to do will prevent you from making the progress you need in your career. Prioritization will increase your effectiveness and performance at work and have enough time to look for and make the most out of the opportunities available.
How Your Habit Buddy Will Help You Build this Habit ??
Your Personal "Habit Buddy is a Certified Habit Coach" & Learns More Daily to be 1% better every day to help you more effectively. They apply all the "Behaviour Change & Habit Formation Laws" to make it easy for you to build good habits & remove the bad ones.
- At this Stage you have already achieved more than 80% of understanding & clarity because of the previous 3 Habits (Habit No. 1 : Visualization), (Habit No. 2 : Taking Action) & (Habit No. 3 : Be Organized).
- Your Habit Buddy will help you break your long term goals into small & actionable steps that you need to take every day, like daily, weekly & monthly goals so that you don't loose motivation & be proud of your every day achievements.
- Your Habit Buddy will guide you in order to choose the Top 3-4 tasks for the day ahead so that instead of completing the small tasks, you complete the ones that are meaningful & add value for that day & your goals instead of just being busy.
- With "My Habit Buddy" you get a "Magnetic White Board" to draw & decide with Eisenhower Matrix (also referred to as Urgent-Important Matrix, helps you decide on and prioritize tasks by urgency and importance, sorting out less urgent and important tasks which you should either delegate or not do at all).
- Every time you perform this habit & update it in your "STEPLO App", you get "STEPLO Coins" that you can redeem for other Premium & Helpful Products/ Services like Headspace, Cult Fit, Books, Body Massages & Therapy, Fit Bit, Sleep Tracking Ring & more that will help to make your habits & life better.
- There is a Weekly Leaderboard which has all your "Habit Partners" like friends, family & others who are member of "My Habit Buddy". Every week's leader gets an exclusive reward to celebrate their effort, boost self-confidence & inspire their partners.
Some Helpful Tips to Prioritize Effectively :
- After prioritizing your tasks, you need to come up with the best strategy to complete them successfully. Effective task prioritization requires effective strategies.
- When you start your day by tackling the most important task, you’ll feel energetic and inspired to keep on keeping on. Frogs are tasks that you find challenging. And in most cases, they are usually important.
Our Inspiration & Guides for this Article :
- 5 Key Questions for Setting Priorities.
- Goals Don't Replace Systems - And Vice Versa.
- The Ultimate Guide to Prioritizing Your Work & Life.
- The Ivy Lee Method: The Daily Routine for Productivity.
- Eat that Frog: Brian Tracy Explains the Truth About Frogs.
- How to Prioritize Your Life: 12 Ways to Focus On What Matters.